PEMBROKE PINES, FL – Boca Raton FC fell to NPSL-side Miami Fusion 4-1 in overtime in the first round of the U.S. Open Cup.

They needed more time, and that’s what they got. However, time was not on their side. Boca FC started off with the ball and maintained possession during most of the first half. The first opportunity came early and at the two-minute mark as Xavier Silva, made a dangerous cross in the box but was unable to find anyone, making it a wasted opportunity.

But the Miami Fusion fought back two minutes later but the shot was off target.

With a tough tackle at the 25th minute, Colby Burdette, in an attempt to stop the play ends up fouling Miami Fusion player and gets the first yellow of the game.

Boca FC kept fighting for the first goal but as the first half came to a close, the game remained scoreless.

In the 51st minute, off a beautiful assist by Maxi Schenfeld, David Santamaria was able to break the 0-0 draw and put the home team ahead early in the second half.

Having scored in the last two Open Cup matches, midfielder Gabe Taboada was a second-half substitute for Boca Raton FC Coach Marcelo Castillo, who hoped the speedy attacking midfielder could equalize the game.

In the 66th minute, Taboada answered the call after the ball found Taboada at the top of the box where he fixed it to his right foot and sent a blast to lower corner of the goal, just out of the Fusion’s goalie’s reach.

Boca Raton continued to press forward looking for the win, however they were unable and the game went into overtime

Early into the first half of OT, on a set piece give and go between Miami Fusion, Alan Faccini sends the ball to the back of the Boca FC’s net and Boca is down 2-1.

The end of first OT came to a close and Boca FC was down again. In the second half, they kept pursuing the equalizer again. But chances became slim when two minutes into the second half Miami Fusion’s, Daniel Marugo took the shot and the ball found the back of the net once again and Boca FC was trailing by two goals with 14 minutes left to play. But Miami Fusion didn’t relent and kept pursuing Boca FC’s goal. Minutes later, Alan Faccini added to the scoreboard again and Miami Fusion led, 4-1.  

Boca FC kept their heads up but the three goal deficit was too much. With time running down, Boca FC remained persistent. Unfortunately, in an attempt to clear the ball Colby slides in too late and tackles a Miami Fusion player, getting his second yellow of the game, landing him a red and is ejected from the game.

The final whistle blows and Miami Fusion proceeds to the second round of the U.S. Open Cup.

As for Boca Raton FC, they will have the  APSL season opener at Central Broward Regional Park this Sunday at 8 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.